Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I'm back!

It's been over a month now since I last updated, hoo boy!

So I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up living, but I have a few more solid ideas in mind right now. My coworker/friend Joel needs a roommate, so should I end up staying in Omaha, I won't have to live with my mom anymore. I'm also looking at apartments in Kansas City, which look extremely appealing because there's a LOT MORE THEATRE there. I mean, a lot. Because there's really not much here.

I'm also looking for another job (not a replacement job, just a second job), and I'm going to stop in a tuxedo shop tomorrow. They've had a Now Hiring sign up for weeks now, and it's in the same mall as BR (which would be extremely, extremely convenient for me), and I think they'd be relieved to have me. I'd be relieved to work for them, it's a pretty low-key environment which is something I'd really like.

Also in this week's news...
I returned from my fourth trip to NYC on Thursday morning. It was the most impromptu trip I've ever taken (seriously, two weeks notice beforehand), and it was really a stroke of luck, timing-wise, that I got to go, since I was able to officially sell my old Suzuki to my cousin since we have the title now. It didn't give me much money, but it was enough to have fun in my favorite future home!

I got to see some amazing shows there, too. I mean, blow-your-mind fantastic kind of shows. Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo was an experience, to say the least. Robin Williams gave me goosebumps, and it's an important show to see, and I'm so glad I saw it. And Billy Elliott.... well, shit. I cried three times. THREE TIMES. I almost died when they did a piece from Swan Lake, it was just so beautiful. And then How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying was so much fun! Hilarious show, it had the best entrance I think you could ever have (Daniel Radcliffe was lifted out of the orchestra pit by a window-washer's roped swing), and oh, did I mention that I met freaking DANIEL RADCLIFFE? And I had been sitting in the front row and he recognized me, and it was nice.

Side note: I'm glad I met him when I did because I've sobered up a LOT about how I approach actors when I meet them. I no longer see them as icons (with the slight exception of RDJ), I see them as people just like me. People who are no better than I am, and I treat them that way now, and I honestly think he really appreciated that. (He certainly stopped to talk to me longer than anyone else, I noticed.)

But back to shows. The best one I saw, hands fucking down, was Anything Goes. I know, I was surprised, too! Seriously, it was so good I repeated it. I've NEVER repeated a Broadway show (on Broadway, anyway), but I had to. Sutton Foster had a presence that seriously commanded the entire theatre, and the Tony is hers. It's just hers, she was absolutely brilliant. And seeing Joel Grey was a treasure, to say the least, because he was just SO precious, and was a completely different Moonface Martin than I've ever seen, or expected to see. The cast was completely cohesive, there was an amazing amount of chemistry between all of the principles (unlike How to Succeed; there wasn't much chemistry between Rosemary and Finch, which was my only problem with that show), and it was just... a great night at the theatre.

This trip to NYC was exactly what I needed, too. Seeing how all of these different actors work gave me a lot of ideas for my own technique, and I decided that even though I'm not doing any theatre right now, that's no excuse for me not to hone my talent. I don't have to be completely out of practice for the next time I'm in a show, so I am going to read more books about acting (something I never even really did in college) and read more plays, because I haven't done as much of that as I would like since I moved back.

So I'm still just as uncertain as I was in my last post, but I'm much more optimistic. (And I'm also completely over not being in Summer Theatre, which is very nice.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment