Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Hunger Games: a clear winner

I've been reading this relatively new trilogy, The Hunger Games, this week. I'm over halfway through the second book, which I started last night, and I find myself comparing it with (of all things) Twilight.

Now, let me explain: IN NO WAY does this mean The Hunger Games is bad. In no way. The Hunger Games is excellent, very well-written, and incredibly well-paced. However, there are a few similarities in plot that I want to comment upon, in The Hunger Games' favor. I have to write them down, so I can stop reading the book and thinking, "This woman should teach Stephenie Meyer how to write." (Honestly, Twilight would be what it should be if it had been in the hands of Suzanne Collins.)

It should be reiterated that I have not finished the trilogy, so spoilers for the very ending are nowhere to be found, HOWEVER, if you plan on reading the books, please stop reading my post right now. The romance is not the sole concern of these books, but it's also not a sub-plot; it is quite important to the story. If you really want to know my thoughts, please read at least the first two books before coming back to read them. My blog post will still be here, but if you keep reading, you'll have premeditated opinions on the book. I don't want that for you. I want you to read these books, and read them with a blank slate. I don't even want you to know the plot (you don't need to, you get into the plot within a few pages).

So click the back button, or type in a new URL (preferably to Amazon.com or some other book retailer so you can purchase these fantastic, fantastic books). Your fate concerning these books is off of my conscience now.

1. Katniss and Bella are both flawed heroines. The difference is, while Bella is SO flawed that you eventually find yourself wondering how the hell you're supposed to like this girl, Katniss valiantly wins the reader's affections despite her flaws. Her stubbornness, her somewhat tunnel-visioned view of the world, rather than deter the reader from enjoying her, opens her up. She's clearly a teenager, and we see that, despite the fact that she's taken roles in her life that bump up her maturity level. And one great thing about Katniss is that while she blames herself for a lot of the problems, she's doing it rightly. It is all her fault, but instead of wallowing in self-pity, she takes action. She decides to try, even if it might be in vain, to make things better for everyone, and her sense of duty to her loved ones emerges as her eyes are opened to the world around her.

2. The love triangle is a very clear similarity between Twilight and The Hunger Games. Our heroine finds herself torn between two equally attractive men and she struggles with this conflict. In Twilight, Bella is in love with Edward immediately after she spends a few hours' time with him. Jacob comes along, flirts a bit, then tries to take Edward's place after he disappears. Boo-hoo, poor Bella wallows in her struggle between these two wonderboys.

Katniss spends most of her teenage years with her best friend, Gale. She's very clear in the beginning that they're not together romantically, but when she's thrown into the Hunger Games with Peeta, she finally begins to wonder what things would be like if she was in love with Gale. On the other hand, Peeta is very clear about his feelings for Katniss during the Games. Katniss realizes that playing up the romance is the way to get out alive, and while she does this, she finds herself not altogether opposed to Peeta, but not exactly in love with him, either. Katniss's conflict does not come from her choice between these two men, but from the ability to make a choice. A controlling government watches Peeta and Katniss together, and forces them to stay together. Katniss' inability to choose between Peeta and Gale comes from not being able to step back from the situation. She's forced to be a part of it for the sake of her family, Gale, Gale's family, and Peeta. Lives are at stake, not just Katniss' happiness.

3. Both Twilight and The Hunger Games are written in the first-person from our heroine's point of view. In both books the reader is launched straight into the story. The obvious difference? Suzanne Collins can actually write. What amazes me is that even though the romance (while a crucial part of The Hunger Games) is not the focus of the story, she is able to write the romantic feelings. Bella feels Edward's icy, stoney lips and OMG hez lyk toats hawtt n shes in luuuuv. When Katniss is kissed by Gale, there's a thrill, and we feel that thrill for Katniss. And whenever Katniss and Peeta kiss (for themselves, not just for show), there's a real sweetness to it. It's romantic, satisfying, and in both cases, even heartbreaking.

I could go on even longer about how superior The Hunger Games is (I mean, it's not even a question), but I won't. These are the main points I wanted to address. I've done so, and now I have to get back to my book.

**If you didn't listen to me, and you read this whole post without reading the books, I hope I have compelled you to read them. Please, please do. I have talked mostly about the characters and relationships, but the plot (which I have remained vague about on purpose) is really what drives the story, and it's actually pretty important and relevant to today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment