Saturday, December 18, 2010

Good morning, USA! I've got a feeling that it's gonna be a wonderful day!

I used to like the American Dad theme song just because it's catchy... Now I like it because after today's work on repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell, I feel just the tiniest bit patriotic. Our country took one huge step forward towards equality today.

So this week at work, we went in really early to rearrange the store and straighten it for a corporate visit the next day. And a new coworker and I were talking as we folded sweaters, and kind of got acquainted with an employee from another store. She mentioned she was into musical theatre, I told her I was an aspiring actress and we talked for a while. She had to leave, and then my coworker and I talked for a bit longer about theatre. I mentioned in passing that I didn't think people understood how important theatre is, and he asked, "What do you mean?"

I told him that theatre--and in this conversation it included all forms of entertainment--was not simply an escape for people, but a new way to bring ideas to our generation. A generation of people who don't watch or read the news to get their information, but go out and see movies or concerts, and understand messages through storytelling and relating to characters. I was happy because he, as a strictly non-theatre person, seemed to completely understand what I was telling him.

And I loved that I felt excited to be telling anyone about my passion. I never doubted my passion, but it's always nice when I feel that surge again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment